24-Hour Emergency

ServiceMaster Clean of Southeast South Dakota

ServiceMaster Clean of SE South Dakota | News

Holiday Precautions to Prevent Fire Damage Restoration in your Yankton, SD Home

December 14th, 2018 · No Comments

House fires over the holidays in Yankton, SD are particularly hard to bear. During a time when your home is supposed to be filled with loved ones and happy moments, it can be devastating to have those memories give way to your home becoming damaged and in need of fire damage restoration. ServiceMaster Clean of SE South Dakota is available 24/7/365 to help you if your home is damaged. We know that disaster doesn’t take time off for the holidays, so neither do we.

Here are a few tips we’d like to share with you to help prevent fire damage restoration during these holiday months.


Be Tree Aware

When you’re decking the halls, be sure you’re doing so with care and an eye towards safety. If your using a live tree, be sure to water it daily to prevent the tree from becoming a tinderbox. Make sure you place Christmas trees, live or artificial, well away from fireplaces, candles, heating vents, and space heaters. When leaving the house or going to bed, make sure to shut off the lights on your Christmas tree.

Check the Lights

Be sure to check strings of lights for any breaks, fraying, or wear-and-tear. Often, when electric cords are stored for a long period, they can become brittle. If you’re putting up lights outside your home, be sure you’re using lights and cords rated for outdoor use.


Consider Flameless over Flames

Flickering candles make the mood festive, but candles are often forgotten and can be a fire hazard if left unattended. One candle can cause considerable damage that can only be remediated by fire damage restoration. Instead of wax or soy candles, consider investing in flameless battery-operated LED candles. Some of them are even scented and have the option of setting a time, and you won’t have to worry about extinguishing them. This will drastically reduce your chances of needing fire damage restoration.


Check your Smoke Alarms

With all the holiday cooking and baking, your kitchen may be full and working overtime. Keep towels, oven mitts, and hot pads clear of flames. Make sure you test your smoke alarms, have a fire extinguisher on-hand, and clean your stove and oven to eliminate grease or debris that could ignite.

ServiceMaster Clean of SE South Dakota is always available to help homes in Yankton, SD with emergency services such as fire damage restoration and restoration services. Contact us anytime at (605) 665-7080.

Tags: Fire Damage Restoration · Fire Restoration ·


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *